Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Gamer Girlfriends

I'll admit, when I first met Brad I wasn't a RPGer. I'd played video games before (mostly first person shooters), but I didn't know my butt from a d10 (yay! hyperbole!). Brad, however, played every week with a well established gaming group. Every week I marveled at their epic exploits, but soon that wasn't enough, so I, in what I now see as an insane attempt to impress him, asked to join their weekly sessions.

I became a gamer girlfriend, and not in a good sense. No, I was the quintessential idiot at the table. Creating characters was like assembling a jet fighter, blind-folded, with the instructions in Korean.  Actually playing was even worse.  I got the whole 'being' my character thing, but the mechanics (especially combat) eluded me.  I am surprised that my friends did not shoot laser beams of fury out of their eyes at me for asking so many questions.

Me about 4 years ago

That was about 5 years ago.

I am slowly but surely getting better (well, at least I hope I am). I get the eye laser fury looks less and less now, and sessions are not so bogged down with my questions any more (yes, I still do ask questions, but in my defense NWoD is so full of rules and words it's hard for me not to). I am even taking a crack at GMing (Game Mastering) my own games now. It's super fun, if not just a little terrifying.

Yay! GM hat!

In retrospect, I am kind of glad I was a RPG virgin (insert your own dirty joke, I'm tired) when I met Brad. It was a really good bonding experience for us for him to teach me (Yay! extra credit!), and I didn't come into it with any pre-learned bad habits. It didn't hurt that he, and the rest of the group, are all excellent explainers of things (or that I am an excellent student....and humble).

Welp, I am off to prepare for my game for tomorrow, but how does combat go again?

No comments:

Post a Comment