Thursday, July 15, 2010

Easy-Peasy

I love video games, but before I met Brad the only ones I was good at were fps. Any other games and not only did I suck, but it seemed that my character would get fed up of my button mashing and consciously commit suicide. Mario and Sonic would regularly, randomly, jump off ledges, Master Chief throws himself on grenades, the cards in solitaire give me paper cuts and then set themselves on fire.



So I would play any game that I got on the easiest mode it came with. Yes, I know it is a terrible habit, but I rationalized by saying that I played games for the plot. That's all well and good, but I was playing games like Unreal Tournament. Yeah, real heavy on the plot that game was.

Now I have expanded my horizons a bit, because I realized that by playing on easy all the time, I wasn't getting any better. I still enjoy playing games for the plot (and with great new games like Alan Wake and Mass Effect, I feel less like a tool saying that), but I don't enjoy getting spanked by my friends. So now I start games on normal, and work my way up (I even finished Halo 3 on legendary, what what!). I think I am getting a little better, though sometimes I still randomly jump into the yawning abyss.

I think that, with the newer game consoles, it's easier to play on harder settings (if that makes sense). On older consoles the save points were few and far between. Add the save points to the fact that lives were severally limited, and you have a mixture for repeated Megan fails. Most of today's games still have save points, yes, but they also have a pause menu save option; which makes for a slightly less frustrated Megan.

Then I came across this:







I would play the crap outta those games (for the plot, of course), but inevitably, my character would still find a way to bite the dust. Probably literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment