Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blahsmo, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Hate the Mag



When I first started dating Brad I started reading Cosmo. I did this for several reasons: A) Because I thought all grown-up women read it, B) I thought it would give good relationship advice (because dating in the real world is different from dating in school) and C) Because I am an idiot.

I read the magazine religiously for about a year, then I stopped. Well less like stopped, and more like came to my senses.

I realized that nothing I had read in any of the magazines had helped in my life. Ever. Nothing. All the articles and fashion tips and relationship advice had been for naught. Well that's not exactly true. They did provide Brad and I a source of hilarity after a while.

I mean, every article, it seems, is about getting a guy, keeping a guy, what you're doing wrong with your guy, how to get rid of a guy. It's a tad bit disturbing. I love Brad, but every bit of my day doesn't revolve around him.

Or the articles that weren't about pleasing a man, were about fixing what was 'wrong' with poor lil' ol' me.

Then one day I looked around, and realized that I didn't need fixing. I mean, yeah, I may be messed up, but I highly doubt '8 awesome ways to wear white' will help my anxiety. Plus looking at all those stupid stick thin, skinny bitches just reinforced that I was way not societies standard.

In the years since, with Brad's help, I am slowly getting over my insecurities. Yeah, I may not be a perky, blond, idiot in a size two mini-skirt, but I am a kick-ass cook, and I have friends that love me.

So I don't read Cosmo anymore, and I think it's for the best. I have plenty of other things I can be doing with my time, like writing to you guys, or kicking butt at Magic, or, ya' know, anything else.

And I asked Brad if men's magazines do the same thing for him. He said no. So maybe it's just a girl thing.

Peace out b*****es!

No comments:

Post a Comment